Mounted picture of horses galloping on the Curragh on a Winters morning. The Curragh is the captial of Irish Horse Racing hosts the Irish Derby
Training On The Curragh Plains
Superb horse racing picture showing horses galloping on the legendary Curragh plains in the early morning
See biography below
300mm x 255mm or 12 inches x 10 inches
Precision cut double mount
Available in attractive mahogany style frame
The Curragh (Irish An Currach) is a very flat plain in County Kildare Ireland, lying between the towns of Newbridge and Kildare. It consists of a large area of common land containing almost 5,000 acres (20 km²).
The Curragh is composed of a sandy soil formed after an esker desposited a sand load and as a result it has excellent drainage characteristics. This makes it a popular location for training racehorses. The Curragh Race Track is located there and is Ireland's Premier Flat Racecourse. It hosts all five classic races in the racing calendar. These are the Irish Derby Stakes, the Irish Oaks, the Irish 1,000 Guineas, the Irish 2,000 Guineas, the St. Leger. These races are held annually during which Iarnród Éireann trains halt at a seasonal station near the track. The area is also well known locally as a place to gather magic mushrooms.
Used as meeting site during Pre-Christian societies, the Currragh is shrouded in a mist of mythology. The hill north of the Curragh is called the Hill of Allen (Almhain) where the Fianna assembled until the latter end of the third century. Legend states that in about 480 AD, St. Brigid was intent on founding a monastery in Kildare town. She asked the High King of Leinster for the requisite piece of land on which to build this monastery. The king scoffed at her and granted her as much land as her cloak would cover. St. Brigid then placed her cloak on the ground to cover the entire Curragh plain.
It was a common site for mustering the armies of the Pale (see Essex in Ireland). During the 1798 Rebellion, there was a massacre in the Curragh at Gibbet Rath. The Curragh Camp is now located there, where members of the Irish Army undergo training.
There is a natural bowl-shaped amphitheatre in the Curragh. This is known locally as Donnelly's Hollow, because in 1815 the Irish champion boxer Dan Donnelly defeated the English champion George Cooper there, before a large crowd. Dan Donnelly had a famed reach and the remains of his arm were on show until recently in the Hideout Pub in the nearby town of Kilcullen.