Glendun Viaduct is known as the Big Bridge by the Glens people. It spans the river Dun in the centre of the glen and is reputed to be one of the finest buildings of its kind in the British Isles. They were five years building it, from 1834 to 1839, though no work was done during the winter months. One of the master builders, Mr. Bowels, came from County Monaghan and others came from Donegal. They were lodged where McKay's public house is and also in Dunourgan, built in 1828. The stones were quarried in Layde, taken by boat to Cushendun and then transported by cart to the Bridge. The arches were filled with grout, run in as slurry, and the range wall was drilled and filled with lead. The river was paved by McClarty of Layde, a master work of its own. Local labour was employed. John Kane from Cary did a turn of the sheep for Mr. Casement each morning and came to work at the Bridge after that. A man travelled from Skerry who carried a black box, yet he was never seen to open it. A labourer's pay was ten pence a day; barrowmen, and they were very numerous, and cartmen were paid a shilling a day.