View of Cushendall village, old photo reproduction. Dating from circa late 1940's we think. It lies beside the North Channel and the Mull of Kintyre in Scotland is only 16 miles away. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 1,241 people.
Scene:General view of village
- Digitally remastered
- 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
- Also available mounted & framed
- Colour images can be printed in black& white if preferred.
- Read about Cushendall below
Cushendall, County Antrim
Cushendall or Bun Abhann Dalla (from the Irish: Cois Abhann Dalla meaning 'foot of the River Dall')is a village in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It is situated on the A2 coast road midway between Larne and Portrush, and lies within the Antrim Coast and Glens Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is found where three of the Glens of Antrim: Glenaan, Glenballyemon and Glencorp meet. It lies beside the North Channel and the Mull of Kintyre in Scotland is only 16 miles away. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 1,241 people.
Much of the historic character of the 19th century settlement on the north bank of the River Dall remains. Consequently, Cushendall Conservation Area was one of the earliest in the region to be designated, in 1975, and includes the largely intact Irish Georgian buildings of the town’s four original streets. Cushendall lies in the shadow of the table topped Lurigethan Mountain and is also known for its traditional Irish music sessions and friendly pubs. Each August Cushendall hosts the Heart Of The Glens festival.
Places of interest
The Curfew Tower in the centre of the village was built by then landlord of the village, Francis Turnley, in 1817, to confine riotous prisoners. Dan McBride, an army pensioner, was given the job of permanent garrison and was armed with one musket, a bayonet, a brace of pistols and a thirteen-feet-long pike.
Ossian's Grave, off the main Cushendall to Ballymoney road, is a megalithic court cairn on a hillside in Lubitavish, near the Glenann River. It is believed to be the burial place of Ossian - the Celtic Warrior Poet. A stone cairn was erected here in 1989 in memory of John Hewitt, the poet of the Glens.
The ruins of Layde Church, one of the oldest and most important historical sites in the Glens are situated on the coast road between Cushendall and Cushendun. The exact origins of the site are unknown but it probably began life as a holy place in the Iron Age or before. It was in ruins in 1622 but rebuilt about 1696 and remained the site of Protestant worship until the 1800s.
Hurling: Ruairi Óg CLG
Currently both Antrim and Ulster champions.
Rauri Og CLG has a very proud history, the club was founded in 1906 and plays its home matches in Cushendall, senior success has been mirrored in under-age competitions as well