:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Lurgan - Armagh - Elevated

Elevated View

Earlier names of Lurgan include 'Lorgain Chlann Bhreasail' (Lurgan of Clanbrassil), 'Lorgain Bhaile Mhic Cana' (Long low ridge of McCann's townland - Lurgan Bally McCann) and Lurgivallivacket (the long hill of the McCann's place). The McCann sept (clan) were Lords of Clanbrassil, prior to the Plantation of Ulster period in the early 17th century. The McCanns were septs of the O'Neills.

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Armagh
  • Town: Lurgan
  • Scene: Elevated view
  • Date: circa 1905

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
  • Read about Lurgan below

 


 

Lurgan, County Armagh

Lurgan (from the Irish: An Lorgain meaning 'the long low ridge of land'), is a town in County Armagh, Northern Ireland with a population of approximately 24,000. Lurgan is situated in the Craigavon Borough Council area, to the south of Lough Neagh in the centre of Northern Ireland. The town is approximately 30 kilometres (19 miles) southwest of Belfast and is linked by both the M1 motorway and a railway line to Belfast.

Lurgan is characteristic of many Plantation of Ulster settlements, with its straight, wide planned streets and rows of cottages. The town has a wooded park and lake, which is overlooked by Brownlow House, one of Lurgan's few noted architectural features. The park is home to annual summer events such as the Lurgan Agricultural Show, a car rally and a stage in the Circuit of Ireland Rally.

History

Earlier names of Lurgan include 'Lorgain Chlann Bhreasail' (Lurgan of Clanbrassil), 'Lorgain Bhaile Mhic Cana' (Long low ridge of McCann's townland - Lurgan Bally McCann) and Lurgivallivacket (the long hill of the McCann's place). The McCann sept (clan) were Lords of Clanbrassil, prior to the Plantation of Ulster period in the early 17th century. The McCanns were septs of the O'Neills.

In around 1610, during the Plantation period, the lands of Lurgan were given to the English lord William Brownlow and his family. In 1641 William Brownlow, his wife and family were taken prisoner and brought to Armagh and then to Dungannon, in County Tyrone. The land was then passed to the McCanns, and also the O'Hanlons. In 1642 Brownlow and his family were released by the forces of Lord Conway, who was operating in the Dungannon area. The family built up the linen industry and it is said that the greatest manufacture of linen was carried on in the town in the late 17th century.

Sport

  • Lurgan has one main football team competing in the Irish Premier League (Glenavon F.C.), one in the second Division (Lurgan Celtic F.C.) and various different junior soccer sides.
  • With around ten Gaelic clubs within five miles of the town Gaelic Athletic Association is provided for by (lann Éireann GFC, Clan na Gael CLG, St Peter's GFC, St Paul's GFC, Sean Treacy's HC, Éire Óg CLG (Craigavon), Wolfe Tones GFC/St Enda's Camogie Club (Derrymacash), Sarsfields GFC (Derrytrasna), St Michael's GFC (Magheralin) and St Mary's GFC (Aghagallon).
  • Lurgan has one hurling club called Sean Treacy's, winners of the 2006 Armagh Championship.
  • The town also has rugby, cricket and hockey clubs.
  • Lurgan has two 18-hole golf courses, an artificial ski slope and an equestrian centre for show jumping.
  • Perhaps the most famous sporting character from Lurgan is Master McGrath, a greyhound who was bought in Lurgan by the Brownlow family and won the Waterloo Cup three times in 1868, 1870 and 1871. He is remembered all over the town, including in its Coat of Arm’s. A statue of him was unveiled at Craigavon Civic Centre in 1993, over 120 years after his last glory in 1871. A festival is also held yearly in his honour.
  • They lost the Under-21 semi-final against Castlerahan on 18 November 2006.

People

  • George William Russell (April 10, 1867 – July 17, 1935) who wrote under the pseudonym Æ, was an Anglo-Irish supporter of the Nationalist movement in Ireland, a critic, poet, and painter. He was also a mystical writer, and centre of a group of followers of theosophy in Dublin, for many years. AE was born in William Street, Lurgan.
  • The former captain of the Northern Ireland football team, Neil Lennon, who plays for Celtic in Scotland, is from Lurgan.
  • Right Reverend Dr. Michael Jackson, Church of Ireland Bishop of Clogher.
  • William Frederick McFadzean born October 9, 1895 - died July 1, 1916. Young McFadzean died while shielding his fellow soldiers when a grenade fell into a box of grenades being primed for the Battle of the Somme. He was awarded the first of 8 Ulster VC's on that day.
  • Field Marshal Sir John Greer Dill, Soldier and diplomat
  • Margorie McCall is famous in Lurgan as the woman who lived once but was buried twice, currently in the Shankill cemetery. The story goes that the woman thought dead was buried, and when grave robbers dug up the coffin to cut off the ring on her finger she awoke. She returned home upon where her terrified husband fainted from fright.
  • Rosemary Nelson, a solicitor killed by a loyalist car bomb.
  • Len Ganley MBE, the well known and respected snooker referee is from Lurgan. He returned home in 1999 after retiring from the sport, he is currently coaching children snooker in the local community.