:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Poyntzpass - Armagh - Railway St

Old B/W pic

Poyntzpass (in Irish, Pas an Phointe) is a small village situated between Portadown and Newry. It is sited across the county (no-longer local government areas, historical only) boundaries of County Armagh and County Down in Northern Ireland. It is situated in the Armagh City and District Council area.

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Armagh
  • Town: Poyntzpass
  • Scene: Railway St General view
  • Date: circa 1910

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
  • Read about Poyntzpass below


Poyntzpass, County Armagh

Poyntzpass (in Irish, Pas an Phointe) is a small village situated between Portadown and Newry. It is sited across the county (no-longer local government areas, historical only) boundaries of County Armagh and County Down in Northern Ireland. It is situated in the Armagh City and District Council area.

The village contains 5 places of Christian worship; a Roman Catholic Chapel, a Church of Ireland Church, a Presbyterian Church, a Baptist Church, and an Independent Church; 3 public houses; and 2 primary (elementary) schools.

Demography

On Census Day 29 April 2001 the resident population of Poyntzpass ward was 2197. Of this population:

  • 24.0 were under 16 years old and 19.5 were aged 60 and above;
  • 50.4 of the population were male and 49.6 were female; and
  • 26.6 were from a Catholic Community Background and 71.9 were from a 'Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related)' Community Background.

History

Historically, it is one of a few crossing points across a marsh stretching 25 miles from Lough Neagh to Carlingford Lough, following the course of a prehistoric glacial overflow channel from which it derives the second half of its name. The first half derives from Colonel Charles Poyntz.

The pass which gave name to the village is on a major route southwards and was named after Lieutenant Charles Poyntz from Gloucestershire who defended it against Hugh O'Neill, 3rd Earl of Tyrone in 1598.

From 'Topographical Dictionary of Ireland' by Samuel Lewis, 1837

'POYNTZPASS, or FENWICK'S PASS, a small town, partly in the parish of AGHADERG, barony of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, but chiefly in the parish of BALLYMORE barony of LOWER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH and province of ULSTER , 2¾ miles (S.W.) from Loughbrickland, to which it has a penny post; containing 660 inhabitants, of which number, 88 are in the county of Down. This place was formerly an encumbered pass through bogs and woods, from the county of Down into that of Armagh, and from the O'Hanlons' to the Magennises' country: it derives its present name from this important military position having been forced, after a desperate action, by Lieut. Poyntz, of the English army, with a few troops, against a numerous body of Tyrone's soldiers, for which service he was rewarded with a grant of 500 acres [2 km²] in this barony: there are some remains of the castle which formerly commanded the pass. At Drumbanagher are vestiges of the entrenchment surrounding the principal strong hold of the Earl of Tyrone, during his wars with Queen Elizabeth, called Tyrone's Ditches.

Poyntz-Pass is now one of the most fertile and beautiful spots in this part of the country. To the south is Drumbanagher Castle, the handsome residence of Lieut.-Col. Maxwell Close, built in the Italian style, with a large portico in front; on an eminence above the town is Acton House, the elegant residence of C. R. Dobbs, Esq.; not far from which is Union Lodge, that of W. Fivey, Esq., in a beautiful demesne, bounded by the extensive waters of Lough Shark. That portion of the town which is in the county of Armagh was built about 1790, by Mr. Stewart, then proprietor, who procured for it a grant of a market and fairs; the former was never established, but the latter, held on the first Saturday in every month, are large and well attended, great numbers of cattle and sheep being sold. The town comprises 116 houses in one principal street, intersected by a shorter one. It contains the church for the district of Acton, a small neat edifice in the early English style, with a tower at the east front, built in 1789, and considerably enlarged and improved in 1829; a R. C. chapel, a school, and a constabulary police station.'

A castle was once situated in Poyntzpass, the remnants of which were visible up until the middle of the 19th century. Today there is no trace of it other than in ‘Castle Corner’ the name by which a corner of William Street is sometimes known.

People

Charles Davis Lucas, first recipient of the Victoria Cross was born and grew up nearby.

The local gaelic football team is named O'Hanlons after 17th century raparee Redmond O'Hanlon.

Transport

Poyntzpass straddles the main Belfast-Dublin railway line, and has a Northern Ireland Railways railway station.

The Newry Canal which flows through Poyntzpass follows the Armagh/Down border and was one of the first major canals to be constructed in Britain or Ireland. The canal's highest navigation point is just 1 mile (1.6km) away at Acton Lake (Lough Shark). However, it never really fulfilled its promise to bring industry and prosperity and is long since dormant