USA TOLL FREE #
REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788
South Mall - Cork City - Color
early photo image
Old photo of the South Mall, Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) is the second city of the Republic of Ireland and Ireland's second most populous city after Dublin. It is the principal city and administrative centre of County Cork and the largest city of the province of Munster.
Town: Cork City
Scene: South Mall
Date: circa 1910
10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
Read about Cork City below
Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) is the second city of the Republic of Ireland and Ireland's second most populous city after Dublin. It is the principal city and administrative centre of County Cork and the largest city of the province of Munster.
The city proper has a population of 119,143 (2006 census), however this increases to 186,239 (2002 figures) if the immediate suburbs of the city in the Cork County Council area are included. In the 'Cork Joint Housing Strategy', it states that the 2006 population of Metropolitan Cork stands at approximately 274,000, while the Greater Cork area stands at 380,000 in 2006.
The city's name is derived from an Irish word corcach meaning 'marshy place', referring to its situation on the River Lee. Cork has a reputation for independence dating from 1491, when some townsmen tried to overthrow the king of England, but more recently referring to its participation in the Irish War of Independence and the Irish Civil War. This has given Cork the nickname of 'the Rebel County'. It is not unusual for Corkonians to refer to Cork as the 'true capital of Ireland' or to feel they have a distinct identity from the rest of Ireland.
The River Lee flows through the city, an island in the river forming the main part of the city centre just before the Lee flows into Lough Mahon and thence to Cork Harbour, one of the world's largest natural harbours. The city is a major Irish seaport ?with quays and docks sited along the broad waterway of the Lee on the city's East side.