There is much evidence of Macroom's pre-Christian habitation in the many standing stones, dolmens, stone circles and fulacht fiadh in the surrounding land. The area was a pre-Christian center for Bardic conventions and acted as a base for the Druids of Munster.[
Scene: Square & Castle
Date: circa 1905
10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
Read about Macroom below
Macroom (Irish: Maigh Chromtha) is a small market town lying in a valley on the River Sullane, a tributary of the River Lee, between Cork and Killarney. The town recoded a population on 2,985 in the 2002 national census. The name in Irish Gaelic may mean 'meeting place of followers of the god Crom' or 'crooked plain'. The area is thought to once have been the meeting place for the Druids of Munster. It is said that Macroom is 'the town that never reared a fool '.
There is much evidence of Macroom's pre-Christian habitation in the many standing stones, dolmens, stone circles and fulacht fiadh in the surrounding land. The area was a pre-Christian center for Bardic conventions and acted as a base for the Druids of Munster.
The first recorded historical reference to Macroom dates back to the sixth century when the townland was known as Achad Dorbchon, and held within the kingdom of Muscraighe Mitine. The dominate clan within Munster during this period was the Eoghanach dynasty, and they held kingdoms from Muscraighe Mitine to the midlands town of Birr. The tribe of U?Floinn was most prominent local clan, and during their reign a castle was built in Achad Dorbchon to replace Raithleann as the capital of Muskerry.
In 978 a major battle was fought at Bealick between Brian Boru and the King of Carbery. The battle was the climax of a power-struggle between the Lords of Carbery and the Dál gCais of North Munster. Boru sought to avenge the slaughter of his brother Mahon, as well as to acede to the throne of Munster. Mahon had been killed by the Viking chieftain Molloy in Aghina parish a year earlier. The battle lasted a full day, during which time the battle line shifted west to Sliabh Caoin (Sleveen). It has been described as one of the 'Fiercest engagements ever fought in Muskerry'.
Muscraighe Mitine underwent three invasions during the thirteenth century; from the Murcheatach U?Briain and Richard de Cogan in 1201 and 1207 respectively, and finally from the McCarthy family who had become the dominant and most powerful family in what was then known as Muscraighe U?Fhloinn. The McCarthy family occupied the castle from this time up until the middle of the seventeenth century. By the fourteenth century Achad Dorbchon was accepted to be the capital of the Barony of Muskerry, and was seen as growing center for trade, burial and relgious worship.
Macroom was one of the earliest centres in Ireland where milling was carried out. By the end of the sixteenth century, the town began to grow from a village settlement to a functionally diverse urban centre. The locality grew outwards from the castle. The McCarthys established the town as a centre for markets and fairs, and in 1620 a market house was bulit to the east of and facing the castle. The family introduced a plantation scheme which aimed to attract new agriculture and industrial techniques and methods to the area. By the mid-seventeenth century English families owned approximately one-third of the town in value terms. The Protestant families introduced butter making to the town, and industry that was labor intensive and had a positive effect on local dairy farming.
The battle of Macroom took place near the town in 1650, during the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland. Bishop Boetius McEgan, fighting on behalf of the McCarthys failed to hold the Castle, and he was taken prisoner by the Cromwellian forces and hanged at Carrigadrohid.
A 1750 tenement list shows the town at that time to comprised 134 buildings and 300 families, with a population ratio of 6 to 1 between Catholic and Protestants. By now the town had developed from a locality of mud cabins in the early 1660s to a linear shaped urban settlement comprised mainly of thatched cabins, replaced in due course by solid cottages through efforts of the Irish Land and Labour Association (ILLA) founded in 1894.
During the Irish War of Independence (1919-1921), Macroom was the base in Cork for the British Auxiliary Division. At the Kilmichael Ambush, 17 Auxiliaries were killed on the road between Macroom and Dunmanway by the local Irish Republican Army under Tom Barry.
Macroom castle was burned out on five separate occasions; the last occasion was on 18 August 1922 following the evacuation of British Auxiliaries from the town. The anti-treaty forces, including Erskine Childers and Frank O'Connor, had retreated from Cork City to Macroom. They burned the castle before retreating west. In 1924 the Castle and estate was gifted to the town by Lady Ardilaun.
1.5km south of Macroom is the Gearagh, a national nature reserve which comprises an inland delta, made up of a series of small islands, separated by anastomosing river channels. The area is thought to have been wooded since the end of the last Ice Age (c. 10,000 years ago). The alluvial woodland had extended as far as the Lee Bridge, however in 1954 the Lee hydro-electric scheme was undertaken which led to extensive tree-felling and flooding in the area. The scheme resulted in the loss of sixty per-cent of the former woodland. Today, the Gearagh is of great natural importance due to its rich and rare diversity of wildlife, and represents the only extant extensive alluvial woodland in Western Europe.
Tourist attractions include a colourful town centre, an 18-hole golf course and scenic surroundings. A few kilometres to the north of Macroom is Mushera Mountain, with the family attraction of Millstreet Country Park, a 1.5 km walk to the summit of the mountain, and the ancient Saint John's Well. There are many holy wells, churches and other sites in the area associated with ancient visionaries and healers. 6km west lies the historic Carrigaphooca Castle. In the town itself, the Castle Arch, a remainder of the demolished Macroom Castle, admits walkers to the Castle demesne parklands, held in trust as a gift to, and possession of, the people of Macroom. This large park contains riverside walks among mature oak and beech trees.
Macroom contains two primary schools and three seconday schools; a De La Salle for boys, St. Mary's Secondary School Convent of Mercy for girls, and McEgan College, a mixed technical college located in the castle grounds.
Coláiste De La Salle was opended in 1933 was was originally located in the town hall, until the permanent building was completed three years later. By the late 1970s the school was experencing sever capacity issues and a re-structure and extension of the school was undertaken in 1982. Since its opening the ratio of puplis has remained relatively stable with 40 from coming the town and 60 from the surrounding parishes. The Convent of Mercy Secondary School is contained within the Sisters of Mercy's complex attached to St. Colmans church, which also included a convent, a primary school a graveyard and a grotto. The technical college is named after Bishop McEgan.
Macroom golf club is located within the castle grounds and runs parlell with the river Sullane. Rugby was popular in the town in the early part of the 20C, and Hockey was played in the Castle grounds during the 1930s. Soccer was introduced to the town in the mid 1960s, however it lead to much ill feeling when it was felt that the game was drawing away some of the towns better Gaelic football players.
Transport & communications
The town is situated the national primary route N22, approximately 38km from Cork city and 48km from Killarney. There is an hourly bus service to a from Cork city. Macroom's nearest airport is Cork International Airport. Between 1866 and 1953, a railway ran between the town and Cork city, terminating in the mart grounds. In 1890 there were five services each way on week days and two on Sundays, and the running time was just over an hour.