|celtic jewellery | cork city | michael collins | vintage photography | about us | contact us | help ||
Newry - Down - old photo
John Mitchel, a 19th century Irish patriot who inspired the Young Ireland Movement, is buried in the Old Meeting House cemetery in the town. Pat Jennings, a former goalkeeper and most capped player for Northern Ireland, was born in the town.
10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
Colour images can be printed in black& white if preferred.
Read aboutNewry below
Newry (from the Irish: An tIúr meaning 'the yew tree') is the third largest city in Northern Ireland and eighth in all of Ireland. The River Clanrye, which runs through the city, forms the historic border between County Armagh and County Down: Newry was included entirely in the latter by the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898. It is 34miles (60km) from Belfast and 67miles (108km) from Dublin. It had a population of 33,433 people in the 2001 Census. It was founded in 1144 alongside a Cistercian monastery and is one of Northern Ireland's oldest towns.
It sits at the entry to the Gap of the North, close to the border with the Republic of Ireland. It grew as a market town and a garrison and became a port in 1742 when it was linked to Lough Neagh by the first summit-level canal in The British Isles. In March 2002, as part of Queen Elizabeth's Golden Jubilee celebrations, Newry was granted city status alongside Lisburn. However, despite being the fourth largest city in Northern Ireland, it is not the fourth largest settlement. Newry was an important centre of trade in early Ireland because of its position between Belfast and Dublin. Newry has a reputation as one of the best provincial shopping-towns in Ireland and also has two of the oldest churches in Ireland.
Newry recently topped the league of house prices increases across the whole United Kingdom over the last decade. Prices in the city have increased by 371 since 1996.
The city has long pioneered cross-border and dual currency trading and 30 of all cash passing through its checkouts is in Euros.
Newry lies in the most south-eastern part of both Ulster and Northern Ireland. Approximately half of the city lies in County Down and the other half in County Armagh.
The city sits in a valley, nestled between the Mourne Mountains to the east, and the Ring of Gullion to the south-west, both of which are designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The Clanrye River runs through the centre of town, parallel to the canal, forming part of the border between County Down and County Armagh. The city also lies at the extreme northernmost end of Carlingford Lough, where the canal enters the sea.
Although officially a city, Newry is classified as a Large Town by the NI Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) (ie with population between 18,000 and 75,000 people). On Census day (29 April 2001) there were 27,433 people living in Newry. Of these:
Copyright © 2014 Emerald Isle Gifts • Tel: (+353) 876 220 788
E-mail: salesemerald-isle-gifts.com • Last Updated: 03/09/2014