:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

O'Connell Bridge - Dublin City - Aerial view

old irish photo

In 1879, (following similar work on Essex Bridge - now Grattan Bridge), to improve the streetscape and relieve traffic congestion on the bridge, it was decided to widen Carlisle Bridge to bring it to the same width as Sackville Street (now O'Connell Street) which formed the north side carriageway connection to the Bridge and was 230 ft (70 m) wide.

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Dublin City Center
  • Place: O'Connell Bridge
  • Scene: General view 
  • Date: circa 1920

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black& white if preferred.
  • Read about O'Connell Bridge below

O'Connell Bridge

O'Connell Bridge is a road bridge spanning the River Liffey in Dublin, and joining O'Connell Street to D'Olier Street and the south quays.

The original bridge (named Carlisle Bridge for the then Lord Lieutenant of Ireland - Frederick Howard, 5th Earl of Carlisle) was designed by James Gandon, and built between 1791 and 1794.

Originally humped, and narrower, Carlisle bridge was a symmetrical, three semicircular arch structure constructed in granite with a Portland stone balustrade and obelisk on each of the four corners.

In 1879, (following similar work on Essex Bridge - now Grattan Bridge), to improve the streetscape and relieve traffic congestion on the bridge, it was decided to widen Carlisle Bridge to bring it to the same width as Sackville Street (now O'Connell Street) which formed the north side carriageway connection to the Bridge and was 230 ft (70 m) wide.

When the bridge was reopened c.1882 it was renamed for Daniel O'Connell when the statue in his honour was unveiled.

More recently the lamps that graced the central island have been restored to their five lantern glory.

Other points of note

  • Because of the work undertaken in 1880, O'Connell Bridge is unique in Europe as the only traffic bridge as wide as it is long.
  • There are actually 2 O'Connell bridges in Dublin. The other spans the pond in St. Stephen's Green.
  • The keystone head on O'Connell Bridge symbolises the River Liffey, corresponding to the heads on the Custom House (also designed by James Gandon) which personify the other great rivers of Ireland.
  • In 2004, a pair of pranksters installed a plaque on the bridge dedicated to Father Pat Noise, which remained unnoticed until May 2006, and is still there as of April 2007.