celtic jewellery | cork city | michael collins | vintage photography | about us | contact us | help |
Emerald Isle Gifts
  E.I.G. » Vintage Irish Town Prints » Dublin (North) » Clontarf - Dublin - Facing Front Rd 
EIG Home Page

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

Product Catalog

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Clontarf - Dublin - Facing Front Rd

west

Clontarf - Dublin - Facing Front Rd

There used to be an island off the coast of Clontarf appearing on John Rocques' map of 1753, which was used as a refuge from plague in 1660 and used briefly for bathing in the 19th century. Construction work on the South and North walls in Dublin Port changed the flow of water in the bay, threatening its' existence, though it was eventually destroyed by a large storm in 1844

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE
Size:

Mount/Frame:

* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:
Price:  *
* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Dublin North
  • Town: Clontarf
  • Scene: Facing Front Rd
  • Date: 1910 (estimate)

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
  • Read aboutClontarf below

Clontarf

Clontarf (Cluain Tarbh in Irish, meaning 'Bulls' Meadow') is a coastal suburb on the northside of Dublin, Ireland. It is most famous for the Battle of Clontarf in 1014 where Brian Boru, High King of Ireland defeated the Viking invaders. The Battle of Clontarf is seen as marking an end to the Irish-Viking Wars.

History

A settlement at Clontarf has been dated to at least the 12th Century. A manor house and small associated village was located on slight ridge overlooking the sea where the Clontarf Castle Hotel is now situated. The manor house was rebuilt many times, with the current hotel dating largely to the early 19th Century. The tower house on the site is a 19th century replica of an original structure on the site. The adjoining ruined church dates to the mid 17th Century and includes what may be the earliest use of red brick in Ireland.

There used to be an island off the coast of Clontarf appearing on John Rocques' map of 1753, which was used as a refuge from plague in 1660 and used briefly for bathing in the 19th century. Construction work on the South and North walls in Dublin Port changed the flow of water in the bay, threatening its' existence, though it was eventually destroyed by a large storm in 1844

In the 18th Century another settlement in Clontarf developed 1km to the east of the existing village. This was known locally as 'the Sheds' and was essentially a poor settlement of fishermen and small farmers. It is prominently marked on navigation maps for Dublin Bay dating to the 18th Century, but was never considered important enough for a formal name. However, in line with many such 'informal' settlements in Ireland, it became the site for a 19th Century catholic church (the Church of Ireland St. Johns Church is closer to the original settlement), and then outgrew the existing settlement. By the late 19th Century Clontarf was becoming urbanised, initially as a holiday resort for wealthy Dubliners, but rapidly as a suburb of the city. By the mid 20th Century it was fully absorbed into the city and would now be considered part of the inner suburbs.

Facilities

Clontarf has many sporting facilities including rugby, cricket, sailing, football and Clontarf GAA club. Its open air seawater swimming pool, once a popular recreational destination, is now derelict. Clontarf was the venue for the final of the 2005 ICC Trophy cricket tournament.

Along with numerous sporting facilities the suburb also has a number of non sporting local facilities in St Anne's Park (which it shares with Raheny). Thses include an Arts centre in the Red stables, along with a large rose garden which is located alongside the Gaelic Athletic Association pitches.

Points of note

Famous people from the area include Brian O'Driscoll, the current Ireland rugby captain, film director Neil Jordan, academic Declan Kiberd, singer and television presenter Bryan Smyth and Gerry Ryan, RTE DJ.

Saint Anne's Park lies between Clontarf and Raheny. The Bull Island is connected to Clontarf by a wooden bridge.

When Erwin Schrödinger moved to Dublin he lived in Clontarf on Kincora Road.

Bram Stoker, author of Dracula, was born on The Crescent in nearby Fairview.

Clontarf was the home of the Grove Social Club disco which ran from 1967 to 1997. It started in 1967 in Mount Prospect Avenue in Clontarf, Belgrove Football Club (from which the club got its name). It moved to St. Pauls College, Sybil Hill in '75 when the old pavilion was burnt down.


Sections: 



Web Developed by Takeit-EC Copyright © 2014 Emerald Isle Gifts • Tel: (+353) 876 220 788
E-mail: salesReplace the word AT with the @ sign to send the emailemerald-isle-gifts.com • Last Updated: 02/08/2014