Dalkey (Deilginis in Irish, meaning 'thorny island') is a town in the southern Dublin suburbs in the Republic of Ireland, and in the County of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown. It was originally founded as a Viking settlement and became an important port during the Middle Ages.
Scene: View from Telegraph Hill
Date: 1905 (estimate)
10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
Colour images can be printed in black& white if preferred.
Read aboutDalkey below
Dalkey (Deilginis in Irish, meaning 'thorny island') is a town in the southern Dublin suburbs in the Republic of Ireland, and in the County of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown. It was originally founded as a Viking settlement and became an important port during the Middle Ages. According to John Clyn, it was one of the points through which the plague entered Ireland in the mid-14th century. In modern times, Dalkey has become a prosperous seaside suburb and a minor tourist attraction.
The town is named after Dalkey Island, just offshore. The name is an adaptation from the Irish, Deilginis ('Thorn Island'). Vikings added their own word for island - øy - to the first syllable of the native name. (The same '-ey' suffix is present in other Irish place names too.)
Dalkey was the terminus for the first commercial application of the atmospheric system of propulsion of trains. Dalkey is served by the DART, which passes through a tunnel south of Dalkey, emerging on a cliff giving spectacular views over Killiney Bay.
Dalkey is the original home town of two well-known Irish writers, novelist Maeve Binchy and playwright Hugh Leonard. It is also the setting for many of Flann O'Brien's writings, notably The Dalkey Archive. In recent years, Dalkey developed a reputation as Dublin's Beverley Hills when several well-known Irish and international figures bought property there during the 1990s, such as Meg Murphy, U2 members Bono and The Edge, Enya the reclusive celtic music artist, and musicians Chris de Burgh and Van Morrison. Film director Neil Jordan lives in the town while Formula One drivers Damon Hill and Eddie Irvine used to live in Dalkey.
King of Dalkey
The freemen of Dalkey inherited the right to elect a King through the boredom of young bloods back in the Dublin of 1787. The full title is King of Dalkey, Emperor of the Muglins, Prince of the Holy Island of Magee, Baron of Bulloch, Seigneur of Sandycove, Defender of the Faith and Respector of All Others, Elector of Lambay and Ireland's Eye, and Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of the Lobster and Periwinkle. Hugh Dempsey was crowned the first 'King of Dalkey' in about 1780. The current King, Larry Wilmott or Larry the 2nd, was elected in 1983.
Dalkey Quarry is a disused granite quarry, stone from which was used in the 19th century to build Dún Laoghaire harbour, and is now a popular rock-climbing location within Killiney Hill Park. During the construction of the harbour, the quarry was connected to Dún Laoghaire via a metal tram way known as 'The Metals' which are still visible in some parts of Dalkey.Dalkey is a great place for fishing.
Cuala CLG, a prominent Gaelic Athletic Association sports club, and Dalkey United, an association football club, are both based at Hyde Park, just outside the town. Early in his soccer career Paul McGrath, the Manchester United, Aston Villa and Ireland defender, played for Dalkey United.
There are two schools in Dalkey. Loreto Abbey, Dalkey|Loreto Abbey]] caters for boys from junior infants to first class and for girls up to sixth year. Harold Boys caters for boys from second class to sixth class.