:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Islandbridge - Dublin

circa 1910

Island Bridge (formerly Sarah Bridge) is a road bridge spanning the River Liffey, in Dublin, Ireland and joining the South Circular Road to Conyngham Road at the Phoenix Park. Island Bridge and the surrounding area are so named, because of the island formed here at the junction of the Camac and Liffey rivers.

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: DublinSouth
  • Town: Islandbridge
  • Scene: Village view
  • Date: circa 1905
  • Digitally remastered

Specification

  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
  • Read about Islandbridge below

Island Bridge

Island Bridge (formerly Sarah Bridge) is a road bridge spanning the River Liffey, in Dublin, Ireland and joining the South Circular Road to Conyngham Road at the Phoenix Park.

Island Bridge and the surrounding area are so named, because of the island formed here at the junction of the Camac and Liffey rivers.

In 1577, during the reign of Queen Elizabeth, while Sir Henry Sidney was Lord Deputy of Ireland, an arched stone bridge was built here to replace an earlier structure nearby at Kilmainham.

This bridge was swept away by a flood in 1787, and in 1791 the (current) replacement bridge was constructed.

The current structure is a single 32 metre span ashlar masonry elliptical arch bridge, and was originally named Sarah Bridge after the Countess of Westmoreland, who laid the first stone. (Sarah, Countess of Westmoreland was the wife of the then Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, John Fane, 10th Earl of Westmorland).

As with many other Dublin bridges (particularly those named for British peers), the bridge was renamed following independence by the Free State as Island Bridge in 1922.