:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Newcastle West - Limerick - Bridge St

circa 1910

One of Ireland's most celebrated museums, the Hunt Museum, is based in the historic 18th-century former Custom House. The museum was established to house an internationally important collection of approximately 2000 works of art and antiquities formed by John and Gertrude Hunt during their lifetimes. On display are the 9th century Antrim Cross, a sketch by Picasso and a bronze sculpture of a horse, said to be from a design by Leonardo da Vinci.

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Limerick
  • Town: Newcastle West
  • Scene: Bridge St
  • Date: 1910 (estimate)

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
  • Read about Newcastle West below

Newcastle West

Newcastle West takes it's name from the castle of the Earls of Desmond on the west side of the town. the town is pleasantly situated on the river Arra in the rich central plain of Co. Limerick. It is very modern in appearance and it has emerged as a neat ordered settlement gathered around an open space. It is located on the national primary route N21, (Limerick/Killarney) about 40 km from Limerick city. The road to Killarney crosses the Mullagherierk mountains and at Barnagh gap, gateway to Kerry, there is a magnificent view over the rich and fertile lands of Co. Limerick.

This town the largest in Co. Limerick, is one of five post towns in Ireland called Newcastle, this being the only one that is distinguished with the West. The origins lie in the past when the postal address was down as 'Newcastle West Limerick' over the years the Limerick was lost. Before that the district was known as Gleann Na Muiche Dubha (the glen of the pig or boar). In 1583 the Munster Geraldines were defeated and Newcastle and thousands of acres locally and through the entirety of Munster were destroyed.

The castle at Newcastle West and large amount of surrounding land was given to Sir William Courtenay by Queen Elizabeth after the Desmond rebellion. The Courtenay family were later known as the Earls of Devon. The town became the centre of the Courtenay estate and was laid out as we know it today, but in December 1641 disturbances broke out in Newcastle West and the castle was burned down. It is unlikely that anyone lived in the castle after that date. Fairs and weekly markets were held in the Square while apart from marketing facilities, the market house also included an assembly room. Along the Square too, an entrance led to the mansion of the landlords representative, known most familiarly as the Castle.

The town is clustered with buildings of historic interest, just to mention a few, the Courthouse built in 1842 and the old Railway Station was built in 1867, the old IRA monument which was opened by President Sean T. O Kelly commemorates 17 volunteers who were killed in the War of Independence and the Civil War. Opposite this monument stands the Church of the Immaculate Conception which was built in 1828 Other buildings include St Ita's Hospital, the Parish Hall, the Carnegie Library and the Courtenay Boy's School. Fortunately in Newcastle West our language and heritage are very important and are supported by our community. In 1980 Newcastle West received a coat of arms, the motto used is 'As Dúchas Dóchas' which translates to our hope springs from our traditions.