:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Claremorris - Mayo - Convent

tinted color view

Claremorris (Irish: Clár Clainne Mhuiris) is a town in County Mayo in the west of Ireland, at the junction of the N17 and the N60 national routes. It has a population of 3,170 (14,156 rural). One of the fastest growing towns in the West of Ireland, Claremorris is a selected location for the Government's decentralisation programme, with the OPW to start its move to the town in February 2007.

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Mayo
  • Town: Claremorris
  • Scene:Convent of Our Lady of Mercy
  • Date: 1910 (estimate)

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper, larger sizes also available
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black& white if preferred.
  • Read about Claremorris below

Claremorris

Claremorris (Irish: Clár Clainne Mhuiris) is a town in County Mayo in the west of Ireland, at the junction of the N17 and the N60 national routes. It has a population of 3,170 (14,156 rural). One of the fastest growing towns in the West of Ireland, Claremorris is a selected location for the Government's decentralisation programme, with the OPW to start its move to the town in February 2007.

Claremorris is connected by rail to neighbouring Westport and Ballina, as well as to Dublin. The Ballina/Westport–Dublin route is intersected at Claremorris by the disused Limerick–Sligo line (dubbed the Western Railway Corridor – see Irish railway history). There is currently a campaign (West-On-Track) to re-open passenger links with Sligo, Galway and Limerick, as well as intermediate towns such as Tuam and Gort. Historically, there was also a branch to Ballinrobe from Claremorris.

The surrounding countryside is composed of rolling drumlins, eskers, woods and lakes. The town is the birthplace of John Cardinal D'Alton. There are two secondary schools, St. Colman's College for boys, and Mount St. Michaels for girls, and many primary schools.

Genealogical records for Clarmorris consist of Roman Catholic church records of marriage which commenced in 1805 and baptisms which commenced in 1825. Church of Ireland records consist of baptisms from 1834 onwards, marriages from 1846 onwards and burials from 1878 onwards. These are held at the South Mayo Family Research Centre in Ballinrobe.

Weather Station

Claremorris is home to one of the Republic of Ireland's eight inland weather observing stations, located 2 kilometres from the town centre. It began recording weather in November 1943 and was run by a local family, the Vaheys. In 1996 staff were located to Knock airport and it now operates automatically with data downloaded to Dublin.

During the Second World War Ireland provided detailed weather reports to the Allies. There are weather report forms still in Claremorris for the period of the Allied invasion of France which confirm that the weather in the rest of Ireland was improving with an area of high pressure replacing an active low. This improving situation with reports from Blacksod Lighthouse and Claremorris was the reason that the launch of the invasion of France went ahead on the 6th June 1944.

Local Schools

  • St. Colman's College, the boys' Secondary School.
  • Mount St. Michaels, the girls' Secondary School.