:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Crossmolina - Mayo - Main St

early photo

Crossmolina (Irish: Crois Mhaoilíona) is a town in northern County Mayo, Ireland, as well as the name of the parish in which Crossmolina is seated. The town sits on the River Deel near the northern shore of Lough Conn. Crossmolina is about 9 km west of Ballina, on the N59 Road as it travels west to Bangor Erris

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Mayo
  • Town: Crossmolina
  • Scene:Main St
  • Date: 1930 (estimate)

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black& white if preferred.
  • Read about Crossmolina below

Crossmolina

Crossmolina (Irish: Crois Mhaoilíona) is a town in northern County Mayo, Ireland, as well as the name of the parish in which Crossmolina is seated. The town sits on the River Deel near the northern shore of Lough Conn. Crossmolina is about 9 km west of Ballina, on the N59 Road as it travels west to Bangor Erris

Foundation

The abbey of Crossmolina was probably founded by a member of the De Barry family who owned some land about this place, although almost nothing remains of this foundation today. In 1306, three Normans were indicted for robbing the abbot. During the 15th century, Crossmolina passed into Bourke hands but in 1526 O'Donnell of Tirconnell (present day Co. Donegal) marched into Tirawley and demolished Crossmolina castle.

The abbey was dissolved in the 1530s, though it may not have been in use at the time. Sometime in the 1630s the abbey and its lands came into the possession of Sir Richard Blake. The closing of the monasteries came as a great blow to the ordinary people. For many, the monasteries were more than places of worship: they provided hospitality and served as centres of culture and education as well. With their destruction the people lost important community centres and this loss may have strengthened many in their resolve to abide by the faith of their fathers and reject the doctrines of the alien reformed church.

Chronology

  • 6000 B.C.: First settlers arrived in Ireland
  • 1000 B.C.: Crannog Builders arrived
  • 600 B.C.: Arrival of the Celts, who brought a new language and the use of iron
  • 400 B.C.: Flowering of the Celtic social structure and the division of land by family. The Hy-Fiachra became controllers of the plain of Catree and Glen Nephin. The names of the two chiefs were O'Maolina and O'Gavechan.
  • 441 A.D.: St. Patrick arrived in Mayo. Errew Friary founded in the 7th century according to tradition by St. Tiernan. The monastery was originally called Mainishir Taobh Thiar do Shruth.
  • 1152: Synod of Kells. Delineation of Killala diocese sanctioned.
  • 1300: Saint Mary's Abbey built by the Barretts as a priory dependent on Ballybeg near Buttevant, Co. Cork.
  • 1306: Three Normans, John, son of William of Ratheogan, Walter de Usser, and Walter de Cogan, were indicted for robbing the Abbot of Crossmolina.
  • 1368: Enniscoe was in the possession of the Burkes, before this it was owned by the Barretts.
  • 1588: Defeat of the Spanish Armada. In 1526 O'Donnell of Tir Connell demolished Crossmolina Castle. The Abbey was dissolved in the 1530s.
  • 1631: In the 1630s Crossmolina Abbey and its lands came into the possession of Sir Richard Blake.
  • 1653: Cromwell's soldiers plundered Mayo
  • 1693-46 Penal Laws enacted
  • 1795: Ulster Migration to Mayo. 4,000 Catholics flee to Mayo after the 'Battle of the Diamond', many settling in the Crossmolina area.
  • 1798: The United Ireland Rising
  • 1800: Act of Union passed
  • 1806: A new Catholic Church costing 200 built (now part of the Parochial Hall)
  • 1810/17: Famine
  • 1822: Famine
  • 1828: The Mayo Telegraph launched on 17th March
  • 1829: Catholic Emancipation
  • 1830: General crop failure in Mayo
  • 1831: Crossmolina Relief Committee appears to have been formed in March 1831
  • 1839: The night of the big wind
  • 1845/49: The Great Famine
  • 1860: St. Tieman's Church built
  • 1869: Protestant Church disestablished in Ireland
  • 1878: The Mayo Telegraph purchased by James Daly of Boughadoon and its name changed to the Connaught Telegraph
  • 1879: Mayo League founded on October 21st. Apparition at Knock on August 21st.
  • 1882: Western People founded.
  • 1880-84: The Crossmolina Conspiracy
  • 1884: G.A.A. founded
  • 1887: Crossmolina branch of the G.A.A. was founded, known as Crossmolina Dr. Croke's
  • 1891: Congested Districts Board established
  • 1892: Crossmolina Church repaired at a cost of 1,100. New altar 200. First Mass celebrated on the new altar by Most Rev. Dr. Conmy on Christmas Day
  • 1893: The bridge at Crossmolina was erected at a cost of 3,500, and opened for traffic on November 2nd
  • 1895: Boys School built. Sappers or Royal English came to Crossmolina at the beginning of September. The majority of them left in January for Batlycastle
  • 1898: Local Government second act. Mayo County Council established.
  • 1907: Crossmolina Church new bell rang for the first time for devotions on St. Patrick's Day
  • 1912: Convent of Jesus and Mary opened in Errew. Home Rule Crisis 1912-1914.
  • 1913: Crossmolina Town Hall opened on Sunday April 11th
  • 1916: Easter Rising
  • 1920: Miss Mollie Canavan opened Errew Hotel on Friday 21st May
  • 1930: Electric light introduced into Crossmolina in August
  • 1936: Mayo won All Ireland Senior Football title
  • 1950-51: Mayo won All Ireland Senior Football title
  • 1957: Crossmolina Vocational School opened
  • 1992: Crossmolina A.F.C. soccer club is formed
  • 2001: Crossmolina Deel Rovers become the first Mayo team to win the All Ireland Club Football Championship
  • 2005: Crossmolina becomes ADSL enabled