:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Ballybay - Monaghan - North

Main St

The name in English means 'The Mouth of the Ford of the Birches'. The town is the meeting point for roads going to Monaghan, Castleblayney, Carrickmacross and Clones. The town grew up from the congerence of the roads. The town is built beside a large lake, Lough Major (In Irish 'Lough Mór') and the smaller Lough Minor

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price: 

Photo Details

  • County: Monaghan
  • Town: Ballybay
  • Scene: Main St North
  • Date: 1910 (estimate)

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper, larger sizes available
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
  • Read about Ballybay below

Ballybay

Ballybay (Irish: Béal Átha Beithe) is a town in County Monaghan in the Republic of Ireland. The name in English means 'The Mouth of the Ford of the Birches'.

Town layout

The town is the meeting point for roads going to Monaghan, Castleblayney, Carrickmacross and Clones. The town grew up from the congerence of the roads. The town is built beside a large lake, Lough Major (In Irish 'Lough Mór') and the smaller Lough Minor. The Drummore River also runs through the south of the town, past Pearse Brother's Football Grounds, and past the Riverdale Hotel.

History

The town grew up in the 18th century, gaining its prosperity from the linen industry founded by the Jackson family. The Town council (Ballybay Development Committe) was established around 1870. Later, on 1 January 1921, an Irish Republican Army ambush led by Eoin O'Duffy killed one Royal Irish Constabulary man, one civilian and three Auxiliaries were wounded during the Irish War of Independence

Coat of arms

Ballybay's coat of arms shows debris from trees on both sides of the Drummore river which runs through the town. The official Presentation of the Coat of Arms to the Town Council was done by the Deputy Chief Herald of Ireland, Mr Fergus Gillespie, and took place on 14 May 2011.

Buildings of note

  • Ballybay Market House is a four-bay two-storey building built in 1848

Today

Today the town is a prosperous and growing one. The re-opening of the Riverdale hotel in 2006 has brought tourists back into the town, after the 'drought', and after heavy pollution Lough Major is now clear and fishing has returned.