Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred. Read about Ballybay below
Scene: Railway Station
Date: 1910 (estimate)
10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper, larger sizes available
Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
Read about Ballybay below
Ballybay (Irish: Béal Átha Beithe) is a town in County Monaghan in the Republic of Ireland. The name in English means 'The Mouth of the Ford of the Birches'.
The town is the meeting point for roads going to Monaghan, Castleblayney, Carrickmacross and Clones. The town grew up from the congerence of the roads. The town is built beside a large lake, Lough Major (In Irish 'Lough Mór') and the smaller Lough Minor. The Drummore River also runs through the south of the town, past Pearse Brother's Football Grounds, and past the Riverdale Hotel.
The town grew up in the 18th century, gaining its prosperity from the linen industry founded by the Jackson family. The Town council (Ballybay Development Committe) was established around 1870. Later, on 1 January 1921, an Irish Republican Army ambush led by Eoin O'Duffy killed one Royal Irish Constabulary man, one civilian and three Auxiliaries were wounded during the Irish War of Independence
Coat of arms
Ballybay's coat of arms shows debris from trees on both sides of the Drummore river which runs through the town. The official Presentation of the Coat of Arms to the Town Council was done by the Deputy Chief Herald of Ireland, Mr Fergus Gillespie, and took place on 14 May 2011.
Buildings of note
Ballybay Market House is a four-bay two-storey building built in 1848
Today the town is a prosperous and growing one. The re-opening of the Riverdale hotel in 2006 has brought tourists back into the town, after the 'drought', and after heavy pollution Lough Major is now clear and fishing has returned.