The Cathedral, Roscommon Town, old photo. Digitally remastered. 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper. Also available mounted & framed, ask for details. Read about Roscommon Town below
Town: Roscommon Town
Scene: The Cathedral
Date: circa 1910
10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
Read about Roscommon Town below
The name Roscommon is derived from St. Coman, who built a monastery there in the fifth century. The woods near the monastery became known as St. Coman's Wood, or Ros Comáin in Irish. This was later anglicised to Roscommon.
This attractive and busy market town once had a hangwoman called Lady Betty – as well as a Dominican Friary, founded in 1253 by Felim O'Connor, King of Connacht (see Abbeys and priories in the Republic of Ireland). Roscommon Castle, built in 1269, is an Anglo-Norman fortress. Roscommon is situated 90 miles west of [Dublin] and 47 miles east of [Galway] and 20 miles west of [Athlone].
Roscommon Golf Club was founded in 1904, the course, set in parklands filled with mature sycamore, beech, whitethorn trees and ash trees, was extended to eighteen holes in 1996 and now measures 6,390 metres (6,900 yards). Dr [Douglas Hyde] park Roscommon is an important [GAA] venue in Ireland and is home to the county footballers and Roscommon Gaels club. A horse racing course is situated approximately one mile from the town centre, the track itself is an oblong right-handed track one and a quarter miles in length, the course has stabling for up to 95 horses.
Roscommon has a leisure centre which opened early 2002 and has a 25m deck level pool with a learner swimming pool and spectator gallery and fully equipped gymnasium, situated next to the swimming pool is St Comans handball club established in 1930 which has produced many All-Ireland winning handballers. Moate park approximately one mile from the town centre is a woodland area covering several miles and is popular with walkers.