:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Nenagh - Tipperary - Pearse St

old B/W photo

The local athletic club Nenagh Olympic were named after three men (Johnny Hayes, Matt McGrath and Bob Tisdall) with Nenagh connections who won Olympic Gold Medals and the badge of the club is three interlocking Olympic Rings in green, white and orange. A statue of the three has been erected in Banba Square in the grounds of the Courthouse. The club has produced many fine athletes including recently Gary Ryan who also represented Ireland at the Olympics. The club also possesses Ireland's first and to date only international standard indoor athletics track at Tyone.

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Tipperary
  • Town: Nenagh
  • Scene: Pearse St 
  • Date:1905 (estimate)

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper, larger sizes available
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.
  • Read about Nenagh below

Nenagh

Nenagh (An tAonach in Irish) is the largest town in North Tipperary, Ireland, with a population in 2006 of 7,424.(14 Polish nationals) It lies on the Nenagh River, which empties into Lough Derg at Dromineer, 9 km to the north-west, a popular centre for sailing and other water sports.

The Silvermines mountains lie to the south of the town, with the highest peak being Keeper Hill (Sliabh Ciamalta in Irish) at 694m. The Silvermines Mountains have witnessed mining for silver and base metals on and off over seven hundred years. Traces of 19th century mine workings remain.

Nenagh was originally a market town, and its name in Irish, An tAonach means Ormonde (East Munster) Fair. Nenagh is today a busy commercial town.

Chief amongst the town's attractions is Nenagh Castle, constructed by the Fitzwalter (also known as Butler) family in the 13th Century, and one of the finest of its kind in Ireland.

Also worth a visit is the ruined Franciscan abbey, which was built in 1212 in the reign of Henry III and was one of the richest religious houses in Ireland. It was in use for six hundred years, Fr. Patrick Harty, who died in 1817, being its last inhabitant.

The town is governed by Nenagh Town Council.

History

The town was one of the ancient manors of the Butlers who received the grant of a fair from Henry VIII.

In 1550 the town and friary were burned by O'Carroll.

In 1641 the town was captured by Owen Roe O'Neill, but shortly afterwards it was recaptured by Lord Inchiquin.

It surrendered to Ireton in 1651 during the Cromwellian period and was burned by Sarsfield in 1688 during the Williamite Wars.

Major Buildings - Nenagh Castle

This fine Norman Keep was built c1200 by Theobald Fitzwalter the first Butler and completed by his son also Theobald c1220. The Butlers later became Earls of Ormonde and Nenagh remained their principal seat until 1391 when the seat was moved to Kilkenny Castle where it remains to this day. A project is currently under way to develop the castle and its surrounds. This project will position the castle as the main tourist attraction in the area. The keep is over thirty metres high, and has a base of sixteen metres.

The crown of mock crenellations and ring of clerestory windows were added at the instigation of Rev. William Flannery in 1861. The intention was that the keep would become the bell-tower of a Pugin-designed cathedral which was never built. Though not true to historic character these additions have ensured the iconic status of the keep which ensures that it features on the logos of many local clubs and businesses.

St Mary's of the Rosary Catholic Church

This neo-gothic church was built in 1895 to a design by architect Walter G Doolin. It was constructed by John Sisk using Lahorna stone and Portroe slate with the Portland stone of the arches being the only imported material.

St Marys Church of Ireland Church

The adjacent Church of Ireland church was built in 1862 to a design by the architect Joseph Welland. It is striking in its simplicity in contrast to its larger and more ornate neighbour.

Courthouse

Nenagh Courthouse was built in 1843 to the design of Architect John B Keane. The design was similar to his previous courthouse in Tullamore which in turn followed William Morrison's designs for Carlow and Tralee. The courthouse has recently been refurbished following the moving of the County Council offices to the new Civic Offices.

The grounds of the refurbished courthouse nearby have recently become the site of bronze sculptures of three Olympic gold medallists with Nenagh links.

Gaol and Governors House

The old gaol, with its beautiful octagonal governor's residence, has been happily reduced to the status of an historic monument. Only one Gaol block remains intact. The Governor's Residence and Gaol Gatehouse currently house Nenagh & District Heritage Centre.

New Civic Offices

New Civic Offices have recently opened on the Limerick Road housing both North Tipperary County Council and Nenagh Town Council. Designed by Ahrends Burton & Koralek, they have won international recognition for their striking modern design.

Town Hall

This distinctive building, which until 2005 housed the offices of Nenagh Town Council and up until the 1980s Nenagh Public Library, was built in 1895 and designed by the then Town Engineer Robert Gill (father of Tomás Mac Giolla).

Transport Road

Nenagh is situated on the R445 Regional Road, which links it to the N7 National Primary Route (which bypasses the town to the south) between Limerick and Dublin, as well as the N52 National Secondary Route to Birr (and through the Midlands to Dundalk).

Rail

Nenagh has a station on the railway line between Limerick and Ballybrophy. Passengers can connect at Ballybrophy to trains heading northeast to Dublin or southwest to Cork or Tralee.

The railway line is lightly used due to low passenger numbers. Lack of upkeep means the line is restricted to speeds of 25 miles per hour (40 kilometers per hour) and the existing trains are poorly timetabled for commuters. A committee (the Nenagh Rail Steering Committee) working in conjunction with Irish Railway News, had a meeting with Iarnród Éireann on September 1, 2005 to present the results of a traffic study funded by Nenagh Town Council and North Tipperary County Council, and to seek a morning and evening service between Nenagh and Limerick which would increase commuter traffic. Iarnród Éireann agreed to delay an afternoon service from the December 2005 timetable and to work towards an early service when equipment permitted from 2007.

Sports

Nenagh has a strong local sporting culture.

GAA

Éire Óg Nenagh is the local Gaelic Athletic Association club and has had a deal of success in County Championships in both football and hurling. The club has been strongly represented on All-Ireland winning Tipperary hurling teams with players such as Mick Burns, Michael Cleary, John Heffernan and Conor O'Donovan.

Rugby

Local Rugby Union club Nenagh Ormond RFC were promoted to the third division of the Rugby AIB League in 2005. The club has produced two full Irish International players: Tony Courtney in the 1920s and more recently Trevor Hogan.

Athletics

 
The local athletic club Nenagh Olympic were named after three men (Johnny Hayes, Matt McGrath and Bob Tisdall) with Nenagh connections who won Olympic Gold Medals and the badge of the club is three interlocking Olympic Rings in green, white and orange. A statue of the three has been erected in Banba Square in the grounds of the Courthouse. The club has produced many fine athletes including recently Gary Ryan who also represented Ireland at the Olympics. The club also possesses Ireland's first and to date only international standard indoor athletics track at Tyone. Many championships ar being held there including munster championships and even all Ireland championships Tisdall) with Nenagh connections who won Olympic Gold Medals and the badge of the club is three interlocking Olympic Rings in green, white and orange. A statue of the three has been erected in Banba Square in the grounds of the Courthouse. The club has produced many fine athletes including recently Gary Ryan who also represented Ireland at the Olympics. The club also possesses Ireland's first and to date only international standard indoor athletics track at Tyone. Many championships ar being held there including munster championships and even all Ireland championshipsSoccer

Home to Nenagh A.F.C.(1951) and Nenagh Celtic F.C.(1981). Nenagh A.F.C.'s home grounds are Brickfields and Islandbawn. Nenagh Celtic's home ground is Lisbunny.

Famous People with Nenagh Connections

  • Helen Maria Bayly - wife of Irish mathematician William Rowan Hamilton.
  • J.D. Bernal - scientist
  • Gerard Corrigan - Social Commentator and creator of Hardy Drew and the Nancy Boys
  • Patrick Donohoe - Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross
  • John Doyle - journalist with Canada's Globe and Mail
  • Bernadette Flynn - Irish dancer
  • Julian Gough - novelist and singer with Toasted Heretic
  • Johnny Hayes - Olympic Marathon gold-medalist
  • Billy Hassett - lead singer and guitarist with Mod band The Chords
  • Trevor Hogan - Irish Rugby International
  • Jack Jones - British Labour politician
  • Seán Kenny - Theatre Designer
  • Tomás Mac Giolla - Leader of the Workers Party and Lord Mayor of Dublin
  • Shane MacGowan - singer and songwriter
  • Matt McGrath - Olympic Hammer-throwing gold-medalist
  • Dan Morrissey - Government Minister
  • Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill - Irish poet
  • Michael O'Kennedy - Government Minister and European Commissioner
  • Mary Redmond - Sculptor
  • Father Alec Reid - Facilitator of the Northern Ireland peace process
  • Bob Tisdall - Olympic 400m hurdles gold-medalistSoccer

    Home to Nenagh A.F.C.(1951) and Nenagh Celtic F.C.(1981). Nenagh A.F.C.'s home grounds are Brickfields and Islandbawn. Nenagh Celtic's home ground is Lisbunny.

    Famous People with Nenagh Connections
    • Helen Maria Bayly - wife of Irish mathematician William Rowan Hamilton.
    • J.D. Bernal - scientist
    • Gerard Corrigan - Social Commentator and creator of Hardy Drew and the Nancy Boys
    • Patrick Donohoe - Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross
    • John Doyle - journalist with Canada's Globe and Mail
    • Bernadette Flynn - Irish dancer
    • Julian Gough - novelist and singer with Toasted Heretic
    • Johnny Hayes - Olympic Marathon gold-medalist
    • Billy Hassett - lead singer and guitarist with Mod band The Chords
    • Trevor Hogan - Irish Rugby International
    • Jack Jones - British Labour politician
    • Seán Kenny - Theatre Designer
    • Tomás Mac Giolla - Leader of the Workers Party and Lord Mayor of Dublin
    • Shane MacGowan - singer and songwriter
    • Matt McGrath - Olympic Hammer-throwing gold-medalist
    • Dan Morrissey - Government Minister
    • Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill - Irish poet
    • Michael O'Kennedy - Government Minister and European Commissioner
    • Mary Redmond - Sculptor
    • Father Alec Reid - Facilitator of the Northern Ireland peace process
    • Bob Tisdall - Olympic 400m hurdles gold-medalist
Soccer

Home to Nenagh A.F.C.(1951) and Nenagh Celtic F.C.(1981). Nenagh A.F.C.'s home grounds are Brickfields and Islandbawn. Nenagh Celtic's home ground is Lisbunny.

Famous People with Nenagh Connections
  • Helen Maria Bayly - wife of Irish mathematician William Rowan Hamilton.
  • J.D. Bernal - scientist