:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Dunmore East - Waterford - Boats

Harbour view

In 1814 dramatic changes took place when Alexander Nimmo, the Scottish engineer (builder of Limerick's Sarsfield Bridge) commenced work on the new harbour at Dunmore to accommodate the packet station for ships, which carried the Royal Mail between England and Ireland. The work consisted mainly of a massive pier or quay with an elegant lighthouse at the end. Nimmo's original estimate had been £20,000 but at the time of his death in 1832 £93,000 had been spent and the final cost was £108,000. By then (1837) the harbour had started to silt up, and the arrival of steam meant that the winding river could be negotiated easily, so the packet station was transferred to Waterford.

OPTION AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Waterford
  • Town: Dunmore East
  • Scene: Harbour view of town
  • Date: circa 1910 (estimate)

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper, also available in larger sizes
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black& white if preferred.
  • Read aboutDunmore Eastbelow

Dunmore East

Dunmore East (Dún Mór in Irish) is a small village in County Waterford, Republic of Ireland, located on the west side of Waterford Harbour on Ireland's southeastern coast, in the barony of Gaultier (Gáll Tír in Irish — land of the foreigner — refers to the influx of Normans who settled in the area). Dunmore is a popular tourist and fishing village.

History

Iron Age people established a promontory fort overlooking the sea at Shanoon (referred to in 1832 as meaning the 'Old Camp' but more likely Canon Power's Sean Uaimh, 'Old Cave') at a point known for centuries as Black Nobb, where the old pilot station now stands, and underneath which a cave runs. Henceforth the place was referred to as Dun Mor, the Great Fort.

Fish was an important part of the people's diet, and for hundreds of years a fishing community lived here.

In about 1640, Lord Power of Curraghmore, who owned a large amount of property in the area, built a castle on the cliff overlooking the strand about two hundred metres from St. Andrew's Church. The castle was falling into ruin by the middle of the next century and now just one tower remains.

The old church of Killea (Cill Aodha — Aodh's Church) is thought to have been built in the twelfth century and one wall still stands, opposite the Catholic church of The Holy Cross, at the top of Killea hill.

In 1814 dramatic changes took place when Alexander Nimmo, the Scottish engineer (builder of Limerick's Sarsfield Bridge) commenced work on the new harbour at Dunmore to accommodate the packet station for ships, which carried the Royal Mail between England and Ireland. The work consisted mainly of a massive pier or quay with an elegant lighthouse at the end. Nimmo's original estimate had been £20,000 but at the time of his death in 1832 £93,000 had been spent and the final cost was £108,000. By then (1837) the harbour had started to silt up, and the arrival of steam meant that the winding river could be negotiated easily, so the packet station was transferred to Waterford.

However the existence of what for that time was a great sheltered harbour meant that Dunmore East was to gradually become an important fishing port.

Harbour

 
The harbour is one of the five designated National Fishery Harbours, and has the second highest figure for fish landings after Killybegs.
Dunmore is noted for:
  • The first Irish woman to qualify for a skipper's ticket in fishing
  • The first official woman crew member in an RNLI Lifeboat
  • The world record holder for the largest tuna caught on a rod
The long established fishing industry is under threat from governmental restrictions designed to protect stocks. A plan has been developed (2005) by Waterford County Council to expand the harbour to accommodate more recreational marine activities
 

Amenities and attractions

The village is home to the Waterford Harbour Sailing Club that has dinghy and keelboat sailing and the Dunmore East Adventure Centre, which has many watersports events for adults and children. Also there is the Dunmore East Sea Scouts one of the best scouting troops in the country.

Dunmore East is also home to some of the best seafood restaurants in Ireland.

Two principal hotels are located in Dunmore: The Ocean and The Haven. The Haven is of particular interest as it was the summer home of, from the days of English occupation, Lord Lieutenant of Waterford. That building is reported to be haunted.