+353 876 220 788

EIG Recommends

Bambidress - Made to order quality dresses


10% DISCOUNT if you
mention EIG or using
Promo Code EIG10

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Fermoy - Cork - River Bridge

circa 1910

Old Irish vintage photo - County: Cork - Town: Fermoy - Scene: River bridge - Date: 1910 (estimate)


* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Cork
  • Town: Fermoy
  • Scene: Bridge over River Blackwater
  • Date: circa 1905


  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black& white if preferred.
  • Read about Fermoy below


Fermoy (Irish: Mainistir Fhear Maí) in County Cork, Ireland is a town of some 4,800 inhabitants, environs included (2002 census), situated on the River Blackwater in the south of Ireland. The name of the town comes from the Irish and refers to a Cistercian abbey founded in the 12th century and a ford on the Blackwater, around which the town grew up. At the dissolution of the monasteries during the Tudor period, the abbey and its lands passed through the following dynasties: Viscount Roche of Fermoy, Sir Richard Grenville; Robert Boyle, Scientist ('Boyles Law'); and William Forward. Fermoy today still retains the religious tradition and two orders are currently educating the young: Presentation Sisters and Loreto Sisters.


In 1791, the lands were bought by a Scotsman, John Anderson. He was an entrepreneur who developed the roads and started the mail coach system in Ireland. He designed the town and the streets remain much the same as they were originally built.. His descendants, now living in Australia, have named a wine after the town which he established. A plaque and bust in his honour were unveiled by the town park in 2001.

Fermoy was the site of a major British Army barracks when Ireland was under imperial rule. By the 1830s this was the largest military establishment on the island of Ireland. In 1791 John Anderson purchased two thirds of the manor. In 1797, when the army was looking to establish a new and permanent base, Anderson gifted them the land as an inducement to locate in Fermoy. Anderson and the whole town received considerable economic benefit from that gift. In 1806 the first permanent barracks, the East Barracks, were built. They were located on 16½ acres of land and provided accommodation for 112 officers and 1478 men of infantry, and 24 officers, 120 men, and 112 horses of cavalry. A general military hospital of 130 beds was also built. In 1809 the smaller West Barracks were built which also included a 42 bed hospital. When both barracks were complete there was accommodation for 14 field officers, 169 officers, 2816 men, and 152 horses. The town of Fermoy expanded around these facilities and retained its British military facilities until 1922, when the Irish Free State was first established.

During the War of Independence, Fermoy was the scene of the first of the British government reprisals, when soldiers of the East Kent Regiment and members of the Royal Flying Corps looted and then burnt the main shops of the town, after one soldier had been killed and his companions relieved of their weapons (on their way to church) by the local IRA the day before.


  • Industries in Fermoy include electronics manufacturing- companies include Sanmina-SCI Corporation & FCI Connectors.
  • Other local industries include Silver Pail, an ice-cream manufacturing plant and Micro Bio, a chemical producer.
  • Moorepark is one of the Irish Government's Argicultural research institutes, which is also located in Fermoy, as is Power Product manufacturer Anderson Power.
  • BUPA Ireland has its call centre in Fermoy, but this was due to close as part of BUPA's withdrawal from the Irish Health Insurance market. However, on January 31 2007, Sean_Quinn announced he would take over BUPA's Irish Healthcare Business.
  • On January 23 2007, FCI Connectors announced it would be ceasing manufacturing in their Fermoy Plant.


Fermoy is in a very scenic location, in the Blackwater valley, nestled at the foot of the Galtee Mountains. The Blackwater river is the town's major tourist attraction, attracting fishermen, mainly from England. The river is abundant with salmon, which can be seen leaping up the salmon steps on the weir.

Transport & communications

  • The town is on the main N8 Cork–Dublin road. The bridge in the town was a major bottle neck on the Cork–Dublin route, but work is now finished on the M8 motorway bypass including a new bridge to the east of the town.
  • The town used to be connected to the Irish railway system, on a line from Mallow to Waterford, with a junction to nearby Mitchelstown (see Irish railway history).
  • Nearest airport Cork International Airport

Famous Inhabitants

  • Fermoy is home to famous Irish dancer Michael Flatley.