:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

EIG Recommends

Bambidress - Made to order quality dresses

BambiDress

10% DISCOUNT if you
mention EIG or using
Promo Code EIG10

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Gort - Galway - Market Day

circa 1910

Gort takes its name, Gort Inse Guaire, from Guaire Aidhneach, the sixth century King of Connacht and patron of St. Colman Mac Duach. During the Middle Ages the chiefs of Cinél Aedha na hEchtghe, the O'Shaughnessys (?Seachnasaigh) (a clan descended from Guaire Aidhneach) had their principal stronghold in Gort, on a site which later became a cavalry barracks. At the end of the seventeenth century the O Shaughnessy lands were confiscated and granted to Sir Thomas Prendergast, 1st Bt., whose grandson was John Prendergast-Smyth, 1st Viscount Gort. In 1831, the town had a population of 3,627 and 563 houses. The Great Hunger of the mid 1840s devastated the population.

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Galway
  • Town: Gort
  • Scene: Market Day
  • Date: 1905 (estimate)

Specification

  • Digitally remastered
  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
  • Colour images can be printed in black& white if preferred.
  • Read aboutGort below

Gort

Gort (Irish: Gort Inse Guaire or An Gort) is a town in south County Galway in the west of Ireland. An Gort is the official Irish name for the town, as defined by the Placenames Commission. However the town is known by its traditional name Gort Inse Guaire in spoken Irish. The town lies just north of the border with County Clare on the main N18 Galway–Limerick road. Gort is situated in the territory of Ui Fiachrach Aidhne also known as Maigh Aidhne ('the plain of Aidhne'), which is coextensive with the diocese of Kilmacduagh / Cill Mhic Dhuach.

Gort takes its name, Gort Inse Guaire, from Guaire Aidhneach, the sixth century King of Connacht and patron of St. Colman Mac Duach. During the Middle Ages the chiefs of Cinél Aedha na hEchtghe, the O'Shaughnessys (?Seachnasaigh) (a clan descended from Guaire Aidhneach) had their principal stronghold in Gort, on a site which later became a cavalry barracks. At the end of the seventeenth century the O Shaughnessy lands were confiscated and granted to Sir Thomas Prendergast, 1st Bt., whose grandson was John Prendergast-Smyth, 1st Viscount Gort. In 1831, the town had a population of 3,627 and 563 houses. The Great Hunger of the mid 1840s devastated the population.

A number of historic sites around Gort are included in the Sites and Monuments Record. Kilmacduagh monastery and round tower are situated approximately 1.9 miles (3km) west of Gort. The poet William Butler Yeats renovated an old tower house near the village ('Thoor Ballylee') and took up residence there. He was also a frequent visitor to the home of Lady Gregory at nearby Coole Park.

One in four of Gort's population is Brazilian according to Metro Eireann. Many of the Brazilians originally came to work in the meat processing plants in Gort where the pay is generally much higher than in similar plants in Brazil. According to Claire Healy 'a large community of Brazilians now live, work and attend school in Gort, gradually altering the appearance and the character of the town. A Pentecostal congregation, the Assembléia de Deus, has set up a church in the area and the community holds their own carnaval every Summer'