The history of Enfield is closely connected to the history of transport throughout south County Meath. In the 1790's, maps denote the site as 'A New Inn', later 'The New Inn' and eventually, Innfield. This derives from a mail-coach inn on the 18th century Dublin to Mullingar coach route called 'The Royal Oak Inn' which is estimated to have been where the Bridge House Inn now stands
Scene: Village view
Date: 1910 (estimate)
10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper
Also available mounted & framed, ask for details
Colour images can be printed in black& white if preferred.
Read aboutEnfield below
Enfield (An Bóthar Buí in Irish) is a town in south County Meath, Ireland, located between Kilcock and Kinnegad and sits very close to the County Meath - County Kildare border.
The history of Enfield is closely connected to the history of transport throughout south County Meath. In the 1790's, maps denote the site as 'A New Inn', later 'The New Inn' and eventually, Innfield. This derives from a mail-coach inn on the 18th century Dublin to Mullingar coach route called 'The Royal Oak Inn' which is estimated to have been where the Bridge House Inn now stands. The Royal Canal also passed through Innfield, and with the arrival of the Midland Great Western Railway the name became Anglicised to Enfield. The N4, which was the main road to the West from Dublin, passes through Enfield and in December 2005, the M4 opened which bypasses Enfield and has relieved the traffic problems that once plagued the town.
The railway reached Enfield in 1847, when the Midland Great Western Railway opened between Broadstone Station in Dublin and Enfield. Upon the opening of the railway, canal boats ceased all passenger traffic between Dublin and Enfield, passengers travelling west using the train to Enfield and transferring to the canal in the town. The line was extended to Hill of Down by the end of 1847 and to Mullingar in October 1848.
In 1877, a branch line from Nesbitt Junction (about 1 mile west of Enfield) to Edenderry was opened. The Edenderry branch line and Enfield station closed in 1963. Passenger services from Enfield resumed in 1988.
There is a newly created amenity park along with a small harbour and slipway at the Royal Canal on the western side of the town.
Enfield is also well catered for people who like to have a drink with several pubs along the Main St. These include Flatterys, The Midland Bar, Enfield House Hotel and The Bridge House.
Enfield also has its own micro-brewery, The Celtic Brew company which produces the award winning Finians Lager.
Enfield is also surrounded by some of Ireland's finest Golf courses, most notably, The Rathcore Golf And Country Club.
The town is home to Na Fianna Gaelic Athletic Association club.