:-)

USA TOLL FREE #
1-800-656-1408

REST OF THE WORLD
+353 876 220 788

EIG Recommends

Bambidress - Made to order quality dresses

BambiDress

10% DISCOUNT if you
mention EIG or using
Promo Code EIG10

pay with Master Card
pay with VISA
pay with PayPal
Fedex courier service

Loughglynn - Roscommon - Convent

Franciscan Missionaries

Theobald Dillon and his successors acquired an estate of almost 3,000 acres, mostly in Co. Mayo. Theobald, an adventurer, worked for the expansion of Elizabethan control in Connaught and gained immense personal benefits from it. Later generations of the family supported the Catholic cause. The second Viscount, Luke, was a member of the Confederation of Kilkenny. His brother, Louis, who was a Francisan Friar, became Bishop of Achonry (1641 ?1645).

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ARTICLE

Size:
Mount/Frame:
* Options may affect the price/weight of an article
Choose Quantity:

Price:  *

* Made to Order, will ship 5 to 10 business days after purchase

Photo Details

  • County: Roscommon

  • Town: Loughglynn

  • Scene: Franciscan Convent

  • Date: circa 1910

Specification

  • Digitally remastered

  • 10' x 8' printed on quality photo paper, also available in larger sizes

  • Also available mounted & framed, ask for details

  • Colour images can be printed in black & white if preferred.

  • Read aboutLoughglynn below

 


 

Loughglynn

Loughglynn House

Theobald Dillon and his successors acquired an estate of almost 3,000 acres, mostly in Co. Mayo. Theobald, an adventurer, worked for the expansion of Elizabethan control in Connaught and gained immense personal benefits from it. Later generations of the family supported the Catholic cause. The second Viscount, Luke, was a member of the Confederation of Kilkenny. His brother, Louis, who was a Francisan Friar, became Bishop of Achonry (1641 – 1645). Another brother, James, went to France, where he founded the Dillon Regiment. Their famous charge during the battle of Rauville won the battle for France. His wife, Mary Talbot, was killed by a shell during the siege of Limerick.

The Dillons became absentee landlords in the mid eighteenth century, when the Eleventh Viscount married an English heiress. A number of land agents administered the estate. The most notable were Jerrard Strickland and his son Charles. Loughglynn House was built by Richard, 9th. Viscount Dillon, between 1713 and 1737. It belongs therefore to the early phase of mansion building that followed the Williamite Wars. It is Palladian in style and originally had a Mansard roof.

The top storey was removed following a fire in 1896. A demesne was planted in 1801. This consisted of 80 acres of woodland. Three avenues led to the house. The principal one stretched for more than mile to Moyne Crossroads. At the end of the last century, the house was sold and acquired shortly afterwards by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, who were noted for their "Ateliers" (industrial schools) in France. From 1903, they provided employment and training for a large number of local people in their workshops and dairy. Their cheese was famous.

Loughglynn Lake

Loughglynn lake was constructed in the early 19th. century by Jerrard Strickland, land agent to Viscount Dillon. It is of ornithological interest and is especially important to wildfowl in dry periods in winter.

Loughglynn Castle 

The remains of a Normal Castle, said to have belonged to the Fitzgeralds can be seen on the south side of the lake. One tower still stands. This was later the location of the farmyard belonging to Loughglynn House.